Sunday, October 18, 2009

NICU Reunion

Saturday afternoon Houston and I attended his 2nd NICU reunion! Each year the hospital puts together a celebration for all of their NICU graduates with food, crafts, and games. It is a wonderful opportunity for the families as well as the NICU staff to reunite. Since Houston surprised us 5 weeks early we spent 2 long weeks in the NICU at MRMC. As an employee of the hospital itself I am bias and believe it to be a wonderful place. However words cannot express my gratitude towards the NICU. Having your first child is a terrifying experience in itself but when your child is premature your life is sent into a tailspin. Fortunately we were lucky that Houston only had minor problems with his breathing and jaundice. I will never forget our experience in the hospital... while stressful, and exhausting it will always be the place where Brooks and I fell in love with our son.

I can't believe he was ever this tiny!


Bless his heart, look at his little oxygen cannula.

Houston under the bili-light.

It is hard to believe that that tiny little baby has become this exuberant little boy... look at what fun we had at the reunion.....
Here is Houston getting his palm painted to get his hand print made... he originally picked out pink, I suggested blue.
They had a face painting booth which where Houston decided he and I both needed ghosts painted onto our hands!

Enjoying some of the refreshments!

This is one of the NICU nurses who holds a very special place in our hearts. She cared for Houston many days of his stay but was also his co-star in the NICU commercial that they filmed while we were there. Amazingly enough when McKennon was born she happened to be her nurse in the regular nursery! We love Miss Georgia!
This is another one of our favorite nurses, Becca, she was not only wonderful with Houston but she served to be such an amazing inspiration to me. She was my rock when I felt like life was caving in, and for that I will forever be grateful.

All in all, Houston and I had a wonderful time! Mommy and Daddy are so proud of their little NICU Graduate!

1 comment:

  1. Leigh, I LOVE the blog! So glad to stay up to date and see recent pics! Happy Birthday to Houston!

    ReplyDelete